[gopher] Gopher/NNTP hybrid server

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Mon Jun 15 23:11:07 UTC 2015

I am currently debating on starting a new project which would essentially marry the Gopher protocol with NNTP(USENET). So, you can easily browse all the forums via a gopher client, and post articles and posts via the USENET protocol.

I really like what gopherChan was able to do, but the only downside was the requirement of HTTP to post articles via a command line tool.  It would be really cool to have a complete forum built using technology from the same era.  It would also be a proper place to archive this mailing list.

Looking at RFC 977, it looks pretty simple to implement.  What are your thoughts on this type of Gopher server?  It wouldn't be just a mole, but a Gopher server and NNTP server hybrid listening on both ports.