[gopher] Gopher client for Android TV sticks/boxes would be fun

gopher4all at fastmail.com gopher4all at fastmail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:02:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've bought a WeTek Core box yesterday. This is an "Android box" , a
little set-top box powered by Android. If you're unfamiliar with those
devices, think AppleTV but with Android and a *lot* less polish ;-).
Those relatively low-cost devices exist in several different flavors,
like USB-sticks and use cheap processors that have fairly simple
integrated GPUs.

After playing with it for awhile, I think a good Gopher client that
understands the UI limitations of such remote-controlled devices, would
probably work very well, especially if the main UI would work well
without an air-mouse.

When coupled with a Raspberry PI-alike-powered Gopher server located in
your same house, I can think of several fun projects.

I know Android TV exists, but I have not seen it in action yet, I'd
imagine that would be an even better fit for a Gopher client.

Still, I'll toy with Android box/stick idea once my JavaFX desktop GUI
client is ready for GitHub. I hope somewhere this or next week.

Regards,
Vincent