[gopher] Raspberry Pi, Gopher and UTF-8

Héctor A. Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:00:36 UTC 2016

Thank you for your reply, Kim.

I just sent a question about this problem to the Lynx web browser developers email list. I basically need a command line based client to view UTF-8 gopher correctly from ARM low cost ssh server. I have tested on Raspberry Pi (with and without ssh) but I haven't tested on Beaglebone Black, which is supposed to use the "real" Debian (compared to Raspbian), and I am not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.

I don't understand why the same client (Lynx) on the same platform (Raspberry Pi) will display UTF-8 correctly for http but incorrectly for gopher. It means that the problem is not the computer or the browser's UTF-8 settings.

If the Lynx guys help me I will share the solution with this list. Otherwise, I guess I will need to test with another gopher command line based client (I will probably check w3m) or start developing one myself.

Regards,
--
Héctor