[gopher] Gopherplus.org purchased

Denis BERNARD denis.bernard at laposte.net
Wed Jan 27 20:36:48 UTC 2016

As it had been said on this list, gopher users are going to be in
competition with Go, a new programming language. Go programmers already use
the gopher mascot and the word  "gopher"! Soon the word "gopher" will rely
only to  Go and not anymore to our favourite Internet protocol.

It is a fact that we, users of Gopher protocol, are not yet organized as the
World Wide Web consortium (W3C) is. So I take the initiative to preserve our
interests by launching an Internet site devoted to the promotion of Gopher
protocol in the same way than W3C does.

As some of you had maybe did it, I searched a vacant domain name relying to
the word "gopher". I didn’t found nothing available. And truly, it is
difficult to preserve the property of a word referring to an animal (or
something that belong to an well known major actor of Internet).  Extending
my search around the word "gopher+" I found a web site (gopherplus.com) that
sell a soft/diet drink named Gopher+!

Fortunately, the domain “gopherplus.org” didn’t exist.  I purchased it and
set immediately a web page to make this new domain visible.

And now what to do with that? Honesty, my English is ridiculous (it is not
my mother tong) and I am unable to publish in this language. Hence, I do
this proposal:

  1. Any person who want to publish a blog post on this new website can send
me by mail the article.
  2. Any persons having a fixed IP address and interested to accept the duty
of web-master and gopher-master, can contact me. I will modify the DNS
accordingly. (For both items, my mail address is that one in the Whois
database for gopherplus.org domain.)
  3. In the future, if an international organization for the Gopher protocol
(similar to the W3C) is launched, I hereby declare to donate my domain to it.

--deber