[gopher] Questions about the UMN gopher client

Héctor Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:18:50 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am using the UMN gopher client that comes with Debian, Raspbian and
Lubuntu distros and tried to contact the email address it shows on its help
page (gopher at complete.org) but it is bouncing my messages. I just have a
question about the "Connect to a new Gopher Server" window's Selector fiel
d, since it won't connect me to any gopher server unless I leave blank that
window. For example, if I try to connect directly to the following link:

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com:70/0/gopher/relevance.txt

The "Connect to a new Gopher Server" window will take me to that server if
I leave Selector blank, but if I want to go directly to the mentioned
document it will not connect me but will tell me that the resource can not
be found. I tried by filling out Selector with /0/gopher/relevance.txt  or
 0/gopher/relevance.txt  or  /gopher/relevance.txt and other combinations
without success.

I find this old client very interesting and practical for the command line,
but since very few people talk about it in this list I was even wondering
if the UMN gopher  client is still maintained today.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Regards,

Héctor.