[gopher] Future of this list, etc.

Nuno Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Sun Oct 1 12:03:03 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-01 12:24 +0100, Matt Owen (Jaruzel) wrote:

> Wrapping a basic web-forum and mailing list system around a single
> public USEnet/NNTP group would be a fairly trivial exercise - I am happy
> to explore this, if we feel that it's worth looking into?

I'd avoid making a web-forum interface unless you have a good way to
handle the "conversions" between e-mail "formatting and markup" and the
web-forum interface way of doing things. (I guess a good one is to do
nothing, and allow only fixed width plain text in the web interface!)

With e-mail and news, we already have the clash between
bottom/interleaved posting style and Microsoft Outlook's corporate reply
and quoting style, and mixes thereof. I'm afraid bringing a web
interface with its own style into the mix would complicate matters.

Other than this concern, perhaps a web interface would be a bit
overkill. But that's also my opinion about this whole idea of "moving
the list" to a newsgroup.

> Whilst we're on the subject of this list... I've noticed that this whole
> thread '[gopher] Future of this list, etc.' is arriving into my
> email inbox with the subject line completely missing. I'm posting this
> via NNTP (as I can't via emailing the list) and that's the only place I
> can see the subject line.

The messages are arriving fine here, as far as I can see (via e-mail,
subjects appear both in mutt and Seamonkey Mail&News).

--
Nuno Silva