[gopher] Future of this list, etc.

Mateusz Viste mateusz at nospam.viste.fr
Sun Oct 1 18:16:53 UTC 2017

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 17:39:49 +0100, Matt Owen (Jaruzel) wrote:

Hi Jaruzel. Nice nickname, although it calls for some unwanted memories
that many people would prefer to forget :)

> What are we actaully trying to fix here?

I wouldn't say "fixing". Rather "planning long-term".

> Assuming:
> 1. Gmane.org NNTP is still staying online?

For now. Who knows if it will be there one year from now. 10 years?
The Usenet, on the other hand, is very likely to be around for a very
long time.

> If it's just a case of losing the mailinglist system and we can't move
> to lists.debian.org, then surely thats an easy fix with a low-cost
> server (such as the new gopherproject.org server) ?

Or use the *free* (no cost for using) Usenet that is already serving the
world reliably and consistently for almost 40 years.

> Developing a 'complete replacement' solution seems overkill if the Gmane
> NNTP stays up.

Not developing. Simply subscribe to comp.infosystems.gopher and we're
done with this problem for good.

Mateusz
mailing lists suck, right? come see us at comp.infosystems.gopher
why? gopher://gopher.viste.fr/0whyusenet.txt