[gopher] Future of this list, etc.

( Héctor A. Abreu) habreu71 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 19:24:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-01,
Nuno Silva <nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> And even inside USENET, things are easily different across different
> newsgroups. I've been following comp.infosystems.gopher: it's quite
> low-traffic and does not seem to be plagued with junk posts. I just
> pulled the last few posts from the newsgroup and they all appear to be
> on-topic, which is really not comparable to some other USENET groups.

Even if comp.infosystems.gopher became one day plagued with junk posts,
any decent news client like slrn can be configured to filter Spam. This
link shows how to configure several news clients to filter Spam coming
googlegroups, apparently a frequent source of Spam into the usenet:

I see comp.infosystems.gopher as the most obvious place to move, since
it is already working and people just need to subscribe.

People in this list who are not familiar with the usenet just need to
ask, I'm sure fellow members with more knowledge on the usenet will
help. And there are many "test" newsgroups (alt.test, etc.) to practice
with your news client.

My 0.02.

Regards,
--