[gopher] Future of this mailing list

Mateusz Viste mateusz at nospam.viste.fr
Thu Oct 19 07:32:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:02:11 -0400, Stephen Kellat wrote:
> I’ve been a bit busy to respond.  Getting my dotfiles right at SDF to
> read NNTP in alpine in an SSH session hasn’t been successful so far.
> Charter/Spectrum/TWC has NNTP traffic blocked and Eternal September is
> blocked.

Hi Stephen, out of curiosity - how do they block NNTP exactly? Is it only
a per-port ACL, or something trickier? AIOE runs on a variety of ports -
I believe there is no chance in hell your ISP could block such traffic,
unless of course it is IP-based.

http://news.aioe.org/ tells:

nntp.aioe.org    This is the main server that everyone should
                 prefer when using this service. It is configured
                 to accept the new incoming user connections on
                 the following ports:

                 119 (Plain and TLS)
                 563 (SSL Only)
                 443 (SSL Only)
                 22 (SSL Only)
                 80 (Plain and TLS)

Have you tried configuring nntp.aioe.org in your news client with SSL
enabled on port, say, 443?

Mateusz
mailing lists suck, right? come see us at comp.infosystems.gopher
why? gopher://gopher.viste.fr/0whyusenet.txt