[gopher] ANNOUNCE: New Web Portal for USENET

Matt Owen (Jaruzel) jaruzel at jaruzel.com
Thu Oct 19 10:16:45 UTC 2017

Hi All,

What with the ongoing discussion on where the list is going, and lots of
peoples adversion to USENET and Google Groups (the latter of which I
also dislike), I spent a couple of hours last night, coding up this:

http://www.jaruzel.com/apps/usenet/

It's 100% a proof of concept, and very rough around the edges, and also
doesn't have any posting ability (yet!), but it's something I've been
meaning to do for quite some time, as there are quite a few low traffic
USENET groups I want to start following regularly.

So, is this useful or not?  If it was fleshed out into a proper platform
would people use it?  Does it help in the on-going conversation of
whether to migrate to comp.infosystems.gopher or not?

Of course, it's not that hard to evolve what I've got to include a
mailing list function and a proper domain for it to live on etc. Which I
am happy to host and manage.

If there's no takers, then fine. As I said it's something I've wanted to
have anyway... :)

Cheers,

Matt (Jaruzel)