[Guessnet-devel] Priority of profiles

Leon Bogaert leon at tim-online.nl
Mon May 26 13:28:30 UTC 2008

Hi Massimiliano,

I tried to reproduce the behavior. But I couldn't manage to come up with the results you experienced. Whenever there are two networks in range that match one of the rules, guessnet always picks one. But based on alphabetical order of the essid?

For example. I have two networks in range: hotspot && Tim_Online. The two rules:

iface wlan0-02_tim inet dhcp
  test wireless essid Tim_online closed
iface wlan0-03_open inet dhcp
  test wireless open

I renamed the second rule to wlan0-03_open so Tim_online should be picket first. But when I run guessnet I get this output:
  guessnet: Removing candidate wlan0-01_home
  guessnet: Removing candidate wlan0-02_tim
  guessnet: Keeping candidate wlan0-03_open

It picks the 03_ over 02_
So then I swapped the 02 & 03_

I ran the scan again:

guessnet: Removing candidate wlan0-01_home
guessnet: Keeping candidate wlan0-02_open
guessnet: Removing candidate wlan0-03_tim

And now it picks 02_ over 03_???

If the ordering is based on essid, that would not be very useful. Because (most of the times) you can't adjust the name of the essid. But you can adjust the name of your rules.

Leon