[hardening-discuss] hardening-wrapper - package description experimental?

Kees Cook kees at debian.org
Sun Feb 28 20:09:25 UTC 2010

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 08:54:54PM +0100, Stefan Bauer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i'm considering using hardeing-wrapper for a few binary packages to
> build them with hardening options. Right now, the description for
> this package sounds like it's not really stable?
>
> "This is an experimental package intended for build testing."
>
> What's the current status on this? My sponsor told me he will not
> upload my package as long as i use experimental build dependencies.

I will adjust the descriptions; qualifying this as "experimental" is no
longer accurate; many packages in Debian are built using it (or the more
modern "hardening-includes").

I also need to update the wiki page to describe how to use
"hardening-includes" instead of "hardening-wrapper", as it tends to
be a cleaner solution (i.e. the options aren't hidden when doing the
build, "configure" and other internals can see the options, etc).

Though using hardening-wrapper is much easier, so it's a good place to
start.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook                                            @debian.org