[helix-maintainers] Back & Plan

Wouter van Heyst wouter@vidicode.org
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:42:58 +0200

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 06:06:36PM +0200, Thomas Maurer wrote:
> Hello Wouter
>
> I'm back from Spain :).

Welcome back! Did you enjoy it?

> The subject: How do we proceed with our helix-for-debian stuff? We need
> something like a plan :).
>
> Next week I need to read some books for my oral exams the week after the
> next week. Afterwards I'm fully available for 2 months (then military
> service :)).

Ai, how long does military service last, and do you still have
computer/internet access during that time?

> My debian sponsor seems to be quite busy at the moment (not many
> answers). So we need a guy who uploads our player deb (only the player
> deb first, the others are devel-version (cvs)).

It's close to Sarge release time, I don't believe it's possible to get
anything Helix into sarge proper, tho we could ask the RM's.

I do think it's a good idea to provide sarge debs also. For Sid, it
shouldn't be too hard to find a sponsor if the deb is ok otherwise
(technically, policy, legal, the works).

> The first upload is only for i386 and powerpc which are verified by us
> and the Real guys (nightly builds and official downloads). So the code
> should build trouble-free on these archs. When we have working and good
> debs in the official repository, we start porting. Actually I think we
> just create a universal profile for ribosome and let it build on the
> debian build farm. We use verbose mode, thus we can fix the problem or
> send the logs to a helixcommunity list.

Figuring out how to build on all archs can be fun :) I have a semi arm
buildd here, so I can test that too. Porting has already been done.

Wouter