[helix-maintainers] Back & Plan

Thomas Maurer tma@hispeed.ch
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:59:07 +0200

Am Mon, den 16.08.2004 schrieb Wouter van Heyst um 11:42:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 06:06:36PM +0200, Thomas Maurer wrote:
> > Hello Wouter
> >
> > I'm back from Spain :).
>
> Welcome back! Did you enjoy it?

Of course :). Lots of girls ;)... and sun.. and water :).

> > The subject: How do we proceed with our helix-for-debian stuff? We need
> > something like a plan :).
> >
> > Next week I need to read some books for my oral exams the week after the
> > next week. Afterwards I'm fully available for 2 months (then military
> > service :)).
>
> Ai, how long does military service last, and do you still have
> computer/internet access during that time?

~ 20 weeks. so till april. I'm at home normaly every weekend. Thus I'm
able to do small things, but can't stay up the whole night long :).

> > My debian sponsor seems to be quite busy at the moment (not many
> > answers). So we need a guy who uploads our player deb (only the player
> > deb first, the others are devel-version (cvs)).
>
> It's close to Sarge release time, I don't believe it's possible to get
> anything Helix into sarge proper, tho we could ask the RM's.

Hm, the debs are not yet used and tested widely enough for the sarge
release I think.

> I do think it's a good idea to provide sarge debs also. For Sid, it
> shouldn't be too hard to find a sponsor if the deb is ok otherwise
> (technically, policy, legal, the works).

Of course, sarge debs aren't a big problem (thanks to pbuilder). Do you
know any active DD who can sponsor us? If so, please contact him and cc
the list.

> > The first upload is only for i386 and powerpc which are verified by us
> > and the Real guys (nightly builds and official downloads). So the code
> > should build trouble-free on these archs. When we have working and good
> > debs in the official repository, we start porting. Actually I think we
> > just create a universal profile for ribosome and let it build on the
> > debian build farm. We use verbose mode, thus we can fix the problem or
> > send the logs to a helixcommunity list.
>
> Figuring out how to build on all archs can be fun :) I have a semi arm
> buildd here, so I can test that too. Porting has already been done.

I think you know ribosome and the build stuff better then I do (i.e. gcc
options etc.). Do we need sperate configs for every arch? always
different gcc options etc.? The most software use a standard config for
the less spread archs. Thus we need one too, but don't really know how
to do that :/.

Thomas