[helix-maintainers] Back & Plan

Wouter van Heyst wouter@vidicode.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:57:48 +0200

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:59:07PM +0200, Thomas Maurer wrote:

<snip>

> > Ai, how long does military service last, and do you still have
> > computer/internet access during that time?
>
> ~ 20 weeks. so till april. I'm at home normaly every weekend. Thus I'm
> able to do small things, but can't stay up the whole night long :).

Ah, good, that allows you to keep up with things.

> > > My debian sponsor seems to be quite busy at the moment (not many
> > > answers). So we need a guy who uploads our player deb (only the player
> > > deb first, the others are devel-version (cvs)).
> >
> > It's close to Sarge release time, I don't believe it's possible to get
> > anything Helix into sarge proper, tho we could ask the RM's.
>
> Hm, the debs are not yet used and tested widely enough for the sarge
> release I think.

Then we agree to let Sarge release without Helix debs?

> > I do think it's a good idea to provide sarge debs also. For Sid, it
> > shouldn't be too hard to find a sponsor if the deb is ok otherwise
> > (technically, policy, legal, the works).
>
> Of course, sarge debs aren't a big problem (thanks to pbuilder). Do you
> know any active DD who can sponsor us? If so, please contact him and cc
> the list.

I'd prefer being totally sure myself that the package is perfect before
asking for a sponsor, there are several Helix friendly ones around, so I
don't see this as a problematic point. How do you see it?

> > > The first upload is only for i386 and powerpc which are verified by us
> > > and the Real guys (nightly builds and official downloads). So the code
> > > should build trouble-free on these archs. When we have working and good
> > > debs in the official repository, we start porting. Actually I think we
> > > just create a universal profile for ribosome and let it build on the
> > > debian build farm. We use verbose mode, thus we can fix the problem or
> > > send the logs to a helixcommunity list.
> >
> > Figuring out how to build on all archs can be fun :) I have a semi arm
> > buildd here, so I can test that too. Porting has already been done.
>
> I think you know ribosome and the build stuff better then I do (i.e. gcc
> options etc.). Do we need sperate configs for every arch? always
> different gcc options etc.? The most software use a standard config for
> the less spread archs. Thus we need one too, but don't really know how
> to do that :/.

Just need to try this :)

Wouter