[helix-maintainers] Re: Problems with Helix/Replayer 10 on Debian Linux

Thomas Maurer tma@hispeed.ch
Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:17:43 +0200

--=-djsJpl9dIkJH1Jc5gQvr

Hello Chandra,

Am Samstag, den 09.10.2004, 18:16 +0800 schrieb R (Chandra)
Chandrasekhar:
> 2. I downloaded the RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm package and using alien=20
> installed the realplayer_10.0.1.436-20040925_i386.deb that resulted.=20
> This package was recognized by mozilla in the about:plugins page but I=20
> could not play Real Audio at some web sites.

The reason for this could be that some old Real codecs are no more
supported by the RealPlayer gold.

Please let me know the addresses of the streams that you couldn't play.

Btw: You know the difference between Helix Player and RealPlayer? [I
just asked me why you installed both.]

For more infos:
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/unix/helixrealfaq.html

> 7. On playing two files that gave me error messages, I got the following=20
> error pop-ups shown in the two .png files attached.

Well, the error messages are self-explaining, aren't they?

> 8. Is there anything I can do about these or is it because of outdated=20
> audio formats?

I don't know if you can do something about it, but I forward this point
to the player-dev list, probably the can give a more helpful answer :).

> 9. In any case, is there a web site where I can test my RealPlayer10=20
> installation, both as stand-alone, and as a Mozilla plugin, as was the=20
> case previously with the downloads from RealPlayer?

I don't know if there is a test suite of RealNetworks, but you can try
this site to test the RealPlayer: http://guide.real.com/

> 10. Finally, when do you plan on making a Debian package available for=20
> RealPlayer10 so that I do not have to install (or worse, remove)=20
> anything by hand?

Of course, this is planned. And producing realplayer debs is actually a
very small problem, but the RealPlayer is a branded _product_ of
RealNetworks and is supported by them. So if Debian wants to ship
RealPlayer debs with its distro they need an agreement with RealNetworks
(because the RealPlayer cannot be distributed freely). How long this
takes and if at all, I don't know. But hopefully I can soon create a
debian repository on helixcommunity.org with RealPlayer debs, so you can
install the RealPlayer as easily as anything else with Debian :).

Thomas

PS: CC'd to player-dev@hc.org
PPS: For player-dev@hc.org readers: the full mail of Chandra can be
found here: