[helix-maintainers] Re: Problems with Helix/Replayer 10 on Debian Linux

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra@ee.uwa.edu.au
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:03:15 +0800

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.  My answers are interleaved below.

Thomas Maurer wrote:
> Hello Chandra,
>
> Am Samstag, den 09.10.2004, 18:16 +0800 schrieb R (Chandra)
> Chandrasekhar:
>
>>2. I downloaded the RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm package and using alien
>>installed the realplayer_10.0.1.436-20040925_i386.deb that resulted.
>>This package was recognized by mozilla in the about:plugins page but I
>>could not play Real Audio at some web sites.
>

> The reason for this could be that some old Real codecs are no more
> supported by the RealPlayer gold.
>
> Please let me know the addresses of the streams that you couldn't play.

The sites I tried include:

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/realaudio/

specifically one file was:

pnm://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/realaudio/govinda.ra

With HelixPlayer it gave the error message
***********
The following components are required:

protocol_pnm
***********
With RealPlayer it gave the error message
***********
The following components are required:

28_8
***********

> Btw: You know the difference between Helix Player and RealPlayer? [I
> just asked me why you installed both.]

I want my browser to be able to play material on web sites that require
RealPlayer.

For example, I tried a music CD site where one can sample music on the
web browser and order custom-made CDs.  Sample page is:

http://www.hamaracd.com/hcdinternational/asp/vaGiftIdeas.asp?GiftId=G694

Even after installing HelixPlayer, I got the message that my browser
needed RealPlayer.

I then installed RealPlayer and still got the same message with my
Mozilla browser, even after ensuring that the RealPlayer plugin metafile
showed up in about:plugins.  Therefore, I cannot at present sample the
music before selecting tracks.  This was what started me installing
HelixPlayer and RealPlayer today.

> For more infos:
> https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/unix/helixrealfaq.html

Thaks for this.  I need to sample RealAudio material and I am not sure
that HelixPlayer does this.  Thus, my decision to install both.  I do
not know if this makes sense.

>>7. On playing two files that gave me error messages, I got the following
>>error pop-ups shown in the two .png files attached.
>

> Well, the error messages are self-explaining, aren't they?
>

>>8. Is there anything I can do about these or is it because of outdated
>>audio formats?
>

> I don't know if you can do something about it, but I forward this point
> to the player-dev list, probably the can give a more helpful answer :).

Thank you.

>>9. In any case, is there a web site where I can test my RealPlayer10
>>installation, both as stand-alone, and as a Mozilla plugin, as was the
>>case previously with the downloads from RealPlayer?
>

> I don't know if there is a test suite of RealNetworks, but you can try
> this site to test the RealPlayer: http://guide.real.com/

Interestingly enough, I tried some of the audio material on this site
and also got error messages with Mozilla that the necessary components
were not installed.  I do not know whether this was because of work in
progress, or because of improper installation on my system.  Hence my
e-mail.

>>10. Finally, when do you plan on making a Debian package available for
>>RealPlayer10 so that I do not have to install (or worse, remove)
>>anything by hand?
>

> Of course, this is planned. And producing realplayer debs is actually a
> very small problem, but the RealPlayer is a branded _product_ of
> RealNetworks and is supported by them. So if Debian wants to ship
> RealPlayer debs with its distro they need an agreement with RealNetworks
> (because the RealPlayer cannot be distributed freely). How long this
> takes and if at all, I don't know. But hopefully I can soon create a
> debian repository on helixcommunity.org with RealPlayer debs, so you can
> install the RealPlayer as easily as anything else with Debian :).

I look forward to this.

> Thomas
>
> PS: CC'd to player-dev@hc.org
> PPS: For player-dev@hc.org readers: the full mail of Chandra can be