[helix-maintainers] Re: Problems with Helix/Replayer 10 on Debian Linux

Ryan Gammon rgammon@real.com
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:06:35 -0700

> With RealPlayer it gave the error message
> ***********
> The following components are required:
>
> 28_8
> ***********

This is a RealAudio 1.0 codec... in the works for a future player
version, I understand.

RealPlayer 8 can play this back.

>> Btw: You know the difference between Helix Player and RealPlayer? [I
>> just asked me why you installed both.]
>

> I want my browser to be able to play material on web sites that
> require RealPlayer.
>
> For example, I tried a music CD site where one can sample music on the
> web browser and order custom-made CDs.  Sample page is:
>
> http://www.hamaracd.com/hcdinternational/asp/vaGiftIdeas.asp?GiftId=G694
>
> Even after installing HelixPlayer, I got the message that my browser
> needed RealPlayer.
>
> I then installed RealPlayer and still got the same message with my
> Mozilla browser, even after ensuring that the RealPlayer plugin
> metafile showed up in about:plugins.  Therefore, I cannot at present
> sample the music before selecting tracks.  This was what started me
> installing HelixPlayer and RealPlayer today.

This site is not authored correctly. A player hack to work around this
would be to add the following line to your ~/.bashrc:

export HELIX_PLUGIN_NAME_OVERRIDE="RealPlayer G2 Plug-In"

Then remove ~/.mozilla/pluginreg.dat, and restart mozilla.

>> For more infos:
>> https://player.helixcommunity.org/2004/unix/helixrealfaq.html
>

> Thaks for this.  I need to sample RealAudio material and I am not sure
> that HelixPlayer does this.  Thus, my decision to install both.  I do
> not know if this makes sense.

RealPlayer 10 = Helix Player 1.0 + more datatypes + rtsp/rdt and pnm
streaming

>> I don't know if there is a test suite of RealNetworks, but you can try
>> this site to test the RealPlayer: http://guide.real.com/
>

> Interestingly enough, I tried some of the audio material on this site
> and also got error messages with Mozilla that the necessary components
> were not installed.  I do not know whether this was because of work in
> progress, or because of improper installation on my system.  Hence my
> e-mail.

guide.real.com is broken with firefox 1.0PR. It should be fixed for
firefox 1.0 final -- maybe this is what you're seeing.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon@real.com