[Hwdb-devel] Re: Official support/certification by hardware vendors

Roland Stigge stigge@debian.org
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:55:32 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 22:41, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> The HWDB is an interesting notion, but I think this
> should be a shared effort between Debian, other
> distros, upstream projects and opensource users.

I think this idea is one of the main reasons why we don't have the HWDB
realized yet. Don't get me wrong. It's not a bad idea but maybe hard to
integrate right now. At DebConf4, even the different approaches _within_
Debian were heavily controversal.

> On such not trivial subject, make our own effort
> would lead in a pure waste of effort.

As someone pointed out, something useable would be way better than
nothing. Considering the current state of design, I think the system
would be flexible enough to associate different distros with "reports".

The chicken and egg problem here is that the other distros already
having working hardware databases will laugh at us if we approach them
at this point with the question to join forces. Providing a flexible,
working solution will help make them join us. (Asking other distros
wouldn't hurt, though.)

> 1)  thanks to add me <aquette> to the CVS
> and to subscribe me to the list.

I added you to the alioth project with commit access. But please use the
subversion repository instead of the CVS one. Since no one asked before,
I don't have the tarball contents integrated into the repository, yet.

Would you please do that when you start working? Regarding your other
ideas: OK! You can just start working.

Please subscribe to the list yourselves.

During the next weeks I won't have much time to work on this project.

Thanks.

bye,
  Roland