[Hwdb-devel] Re: Official support/certification by hardware vendors

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette@free.fr
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:02:36 +0200

Roland Stigge a =E9crit :

>Hi,
>
>On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 22:41, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> =20
>
>>The HWDB is an interesting notion, but I think this
>>should be a shared effort between Debian, other
>>distros, upstream projects and opensource users.
>>   =20
>>
>I think this idea is one of the main reasons why we don't have the HWDB
>realized yet. Don't get me wrong. It's not a bad idea but maybe hard to
>integrate right now. At DebConf4, even the different approaches _within_
>Debian were heavily controversal.
>
> =20

all that should be put down for analysis, and
a solution might be found, as always.

>>On such not trivial subject, make our own effort
>>would lead in a pure waste of effort.
>>   =20
>>

>As someone pointed out, something useable would be way better than
>nothing. Considering the current state of design, I think the system
>would be flexible enough to associate different distros with "reports".
>
>The chicken and egg problem here is that the other distros already
>having working hardware databases

did you looked at what they have. No serious
things out there. Just a device reference and
a bit of dummy text... Not a real and solid proof

> will laugh at us if we approach them
>at this point with the question to join forces. Providing a flexible,
>working solution will help make them join us. (Asking other distros
>wouldn't hurt, though.)
>
> =20

I don't think that reinventing the wheel before going
to see the neighbourhood is mandatory!!

why would they laugh. Seriously, between having nothing
but good ideas and draft reflexion, or a piece of dumb
script with a nearby unusefull DB: I choose the first. We,
Debian, can't waste time in short term

>>1)  thanks to add me <aquette> to the CVS
>>and to subscribe me to the list.
>>   =20
>>

>I added you to the alioth project with commit access.

thanks

> But please use the
>subversion repository instead of the CVS one. Since no one asked before,
>I don't have the tarball contents integrated into the repository, yet.
>
>Would you please do that when you start working? Regarding your other
>ideas: OK! You can just start working.
>
> =20

ok

>Please subscribe to the list yourselves.
>
>During the next weeks I won't have much time to work on this project.
> =20

nor do I with all the project I'm involved in, plus a 3 weeks
baby ;-) But that doesn't means ideas can't be developed
in the meantime...

see you,
Arnaud