[Hwdb-devel] Re: Official support/certification by hardware vendors

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette@free.fr
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:53:08 +0200

Hi there,

Roland Stigge a =E9crit :

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 22:02, Arnaud Quette wrote:=20
> =20
>
>>did you looked at what they have. No serious
>>things out there. Just a device reference and
>>a bit of dummy text... Not a real and solid proof
>>   =20
>>

>I always found the SuSE database quite useful. Already five years ago,
>even when using Debian, I looked up _there_ to answer my questions about
>Linux hardware support. I know that many others did, too. Far from
>"unuseful"...
> =20

yep, my word was a bit too much. What I meant
is that these DB are far from what these could
be! Hosts of things are missing, from tips about
a special hardware, to userland (ie GUI) to use,
links to the projects page, feedback/rating from
users, ...

Another point is that these DB can help improving
installers/autodetection tools by generating the needed
HW lists and corresponding softwares (drivers and apps).

Arnaud