non-blocking dependencies

Troy Heber troy.heber at hp.com
Wed Aug 17 12:46:12 UTC 2005

On 08/16/05 20:01, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> This is just a matter of writing the initscript properly to not exit until
> the interfaces are up and running.

It's actually more complicated than that. How do you test for "up and
running"?  ifup returns when the interface is "up" but has no way to see when
the interface is "running". The only current solution is for a user to add
sleeps to the initscript or their own check such as to ping a router or know
server in the initscript. As far as I know, there is no "proper" way to write
a generic initscript to block until it has "running" network connections.

This is only one example. I think that any new initscript design should try
to improve the dependency situation, including allowing users to define their
own conditional dependencies. I.E. networking is not functional/running until we can
ping the router, etc.

Troy