non-blocking dependencies

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Wed Aug 17 13:22:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Troy Heber wrote:
> It's actually more complicated than that. How do you test for "up and
> running"?  ifup returns when the interface is "up" but has no way to see when

You test for the functionality you need.  In this case, ip link until it has
proper IPs assigned, or add a hook to DHCP directly that sets up semasphores
(we will need help from the DHCP packages for this one).

> This is only one example. I think that any new initscript design should try
> to improve the dependency situation, including allowing users to define their
> own conditional dependencies. I.E. networking is not functional/running until we can
> ping the router, etc.

That is something it ALREADY does (err... will do :P ).  What it does not,
and should not ever bother with at the initscript subsystem level is how to
implement such tests.   This belongs in the initscript level itself...

  Henrique Holschuh