Simple parallellized boot sequence (and a plea for LSB complience)

Sven Mueller debian at incase.de
Mon Aug 29 18:32:47 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote on 29/08/2005 19:59:
>># Provides:     postfix MTA SMTPD
>># Required-Start: $network $syslog
>># Required-Stop: $network $syslog
>># Should-Start: spampd amavis postgrey
>
> Why are on the one hand virtual services written in uppercase, but in
> the dependencies written as variables?

Oh well, LSB defines a few virtual services but is quite unclear about
how additional virtual services should be defined/used. I chose to use
uppercase for non-LSB virtual services. It might be usefull to also use
"variable" style notation for them, but I simply was unsure. Adjust it
to the way you would like them to be (and document it in some way).

Could be something like:
- use all lowercase characters (plus "-" or decimal numbers) for real
  services
- use predefined names for virtual services listed in LSB-3.0 documents
  (which are all lowercase with a $ at the start)
- use $Services (like LSB-defined names, but with an uppercase first
  character) for virtual services not listed in LSB-3.0 documents.

In which case the above "Provides:" would turn into:
# Provides: postfix $Mta $Smtpd

For exim 4:
# Provides: exim4 exim $Mta $Smtpd

For exim:
# Provides: exim $Mta $Smtpd

Would that match your taste better? To me, it doesn't make much of a
difference.

BTW: One could combine the LSB-3.0 way of specifying dependencies with a
possibility of script-generated dependencies like this:

1)  Parse the INIT INFO comments section of the initscript
    /etc/init.d/<service>
2a) If /etc/init.d/overrides/<service> exists and is executable:
    Run it and use its output to override the above.
2b) If /etc/init.d/overrides/<service> exists and is _not_ executable:
    Parse its contents to override the above.

Would keep the init scrip LSB-3.0 compliant, and either the init system
or the package containing <service> could supply additional overrides.
Possibly with a second overrides directory which could contain
user-provided overrides to what the package (or the init system) itself
says.

cu,
sven