[Initscripts-ng-devel] Defining the workgroup objectives

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Jul 27 13:31:45 UTC 2005

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org> [2005.07.27.1251 +0200]:
> Initscripts and the init and initscript subsystems are mission-critical.
> *NO* guessing is allowed. *ALL* failure modes must be covered. You know the
> drill.  BTW, I intend to revisit and pretty much submit patches to fix up
> *all* initscripts in Debian to be quite high quality during the deployment
> phase.  I am not looking forward to it.

Get something working first, or noone will accept your patches. And
we *will* need a transitional solution.

> That said, Sys-V initscripts *are* very useful.  They are
> a interface layer by themselves which isolates a service from the
> initscript subsystem.  In fact, they would allow for plugging
> remote services as-is, for example. Just write a good initscript
> that can do it.

Yes and no. The interface layer could well be provided on top of
init-ng.

Maybe it would be useful to start a wiki page with wishes and
requirements before we discuss individual points too vigorously?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

seen on an advertising for an elaborate swiss men's watch:
  "almost as complicated as a woman. except it's on time"