[Initscripts-ng-devel] Defining the workgroup objectives

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Wed Jul 27 10:51:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, martin f krafft wrote:
> exists and init-ng is not being used, we may try to autocreate an
> init.d script.

And have even worse initscripts than the kind of dumbass
so-much-KISS-that-it-doesn't-work-properly crap we had in many packages last
time I took a look at it?   No, thank you very much.

Initscripts and the init and initscript subsystems are mission-critical.
*NO* guessing is allowed. *ALL* failure modes must be covered. You know the
drill.  BTW, I intend to revisit and pretty much submit patches to fix up
*all* initscripts in Debian to be quite high quality during the deployment
phase.  I am not looking forward to it.

That said, Sys-V initscripts *are* very useful.  They are a interface layer
by themselves which isolates a service from the initscript subsystem.  In
fact, they would allow for plugging remote services as-is, for example.
Just write a good initscript that can do it.

It is just a matter of having high standards for these scripts (which, I
should add, in Debian can be *anything* the kernel will run, a feature I
intend to try to preserve, even if we aren't using it currently), so that
they are useful instead of a hindrance.

  Henrique Holschuh