parallel booting init in C - even larger speedup

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Nov 14 10:19:50 UTC 2005

[Olivier Sessink]
>> I did not measure the boot speed, so I do not know if this speeded up
>> the boot or not.  I hope to get to that soonish.
>
> there more programs you start with the same order number, the more
> speedup you can expect from the parallel start.

Perhaps.  That depend on the bottleneck.  If there are CPU or IO
bottlenecks, parallel booting will not speed up the process much. :)

I'll need to measure to find out. :)

> will merge that with my code. Do you think the code is interesting
> enough to move it to a public cvs/svn service?

Not sure.  I consider adding it to the pkg-sysvinit svn if the license
is GPL (the same as sysvinit), to make the code more accessible, but I
am not sure if I want to use your program or the startpar code to
start scripts in parallel. :)

Your rc program is equivalent to the current init.d/rc script when
CONCURRENCY=shell, but I want to find a good way to serialize the
output from the script before recommending to use either of them.