Effect of filesystem choice onto boot time

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:48:50 UTC 2006

Hi,
A recent real-world benchmark suggested that XFS is the top choice for
filesystem performance; reiserfs didn't do very well in that study,
nor did ext3.

The interesting number was the mount time though:
ReiserFS took 5 to 15 times longer to mount the FS (2.3 secs) when
compared to other FS (Ext3 = 0.2, JFS = 0.2, XFS = 0.5), and also 2
times longer to umount the FS (0.4 sec)

That was with a 20 GB partition. Some comments suggest that reiserfs
mount times might go up with the filesystem size: "ReiserFS sucked so
badly I had to buy a spare hard disk to do a data copy & reformat (as
ext3fs) for my main data partition. Mounting the one (250GB) partition
took half of my machine's boot time using ReiserFS, which is
unacceptable for a desktop. With ext3, I can't notice the time it
takes to mount the same partition."

Well, I don't have any benchmarks of my own (especially since I won't
ever touch reiserfs again), but if you are doing some booting work,
you might want to investigate that.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\