LSB-compliant init-scripts as release goal.

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Sun Jul 9 01:56:15 UTC 2006

also sprach Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco at gmail.com> [2006.07.09.0257 +0200]:
> I can use my time to do both, and that's what i'm doing.

Of course I did not mean to tell you how to use your time! Sorry.

> Sometimes it's hard to figure out because i don't like to
> participate on these Debian "mailing list parties " (aka:
> flamewars). I don't think there are too many RC bugs, and it seems
> that the release team schedule looks sane until now. I'm asking
> for some more work towards Etch not new gratuitous RC bugs.

Sure, but our release schedule is not sane, it needs *a lot* of
work. And there are too many RC bugs.

> Anyway, i think you're suggesting to throw out SELinux support and LSB
> 3.1 compliance for Etch, right ?

No. But LSB compliance does not include init.d scripts, and SELinux
support is also only a goal, not a blocker.

> Based on Carlos' progress (as i cited in my first message), we
> should put some effort to deliver a better Etch with the current
> schedule. I don't think it will be possible to SELinux and
> probably other pet release goals thought.

Well, then I suggest you start by doing the work and filing bugs
with patches. When you reach a point where you can say "if all these
bugs were merged, we would have LSB compliance", then I suppose we
can see what to do from there and proceed with the NMUs.

Does this sound fair?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

"try to remove the color-problem by
 restarting your computer several times."
                         -- microsoft internet explorer's readme.txt