LSB-compliant init-scripts as release goal.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Jul 11 17:12:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org> writes:
> > I higly suggest switching the entire Debian-provide initscript farm to
> > #!/bin/dash (or another faster POSIX shell if there is one), instead.
> > That has no drawbacks to the user.

The quote above dropped the part where I also suggest getting dash to be
essential first.

> I doubt that dash will be included as essential before etch and then
> this will need to wait until it releases. Do you think we can push it
> before etch?

The moment dash hits essential status in sid, you can already change the
initscripts.  You will need a versioned depends on dash, which is much
more palatable than versioned pre-depends.   For etch+1 you are already
allowed to drop the dependency completely.

Ask the dash maintainer if he would be willing to make it essential for
Etch, that's the real issue...

  Henrique Holschuh