[ADMIN] Request for moderators

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Jun 17 07:28:01 UTC 2006

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> Well, let it not be said there was never an official invitation!

Are you intentionally making the moderator job harder description than
it have to be?  Because you are.

> There are moderator positions open for this (and all other future)
> initscripts-ng mailing lists.

I could do it, it I am allowed to use the listadmin package to give me
a one-key commandline tool to handle the moderation, and if I am
allowed to delete all spam and allow through all non-spam, without
having to judge if the content is on-topic or not, not and thus having
to come up with a reply to what you would consider off-topic.

> The post of moderator will require you to waddle through all the
> spam and non-subscriber posts, deleting the spam, approving the *on
> topic* non-subscriber posts, and rejecting with a polite message the
> *off topic* non-subscriber posts.

Why make it so complex?  Just delete spam, and allow real posts to
make it to the list.  If people protest about off-topic posts, I
suggest we consider such posts spam and just delete them too.

For the lists I moderate, I add the regular non-subscriber posters to
the whitelist (privacy->sender filter), to allow their messages to go
directly to the list.

> Subscriber posts are *not* subject to moderation by default.

Good.  Keep it that way.

> The moderator job will have to be suffered through the standard
> (web) mailman interface (which is not that bad, really), and that
> includes mailman emailing you nag notices that there are held posts.

I recommend looking at the listadmin package.  With it, I moderate 19
mailinglists in less than 30 seconds.

> If anyone is interested, send me *direct* mail, gpg-signed (no need
> to encrypt, but any replies with passwords WILL be encrypted).
> Please do so only if you are willing to check for held posts at
> least twice a day normally, and once every two days worst-case.

I'm interested, but not with the rules you set up for the list.  It
will make it too much work.  If I can use my normal procedure for
mailman moderation, it will just add 2 seconds to my listadmin run,
and I have no problem with that.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen