Slashdot/IBM: How To Speed Up Linux Booting

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 21:48:00 UTC 2007

Hi,
> The idea is then to make some kind of meta-script which would be then
> converted to all the rest of the systems, such as the way menu entries are
> handled? Will it be possible to design one for all?

I'm not convinced that we'll be able to work with a one-for-all design.
But I hope we can at least have one design for all except sysvinit.
There'll probably be some redundancy in this meta-script though.
Anyway, if we end up with 2-3 to cover all, that probably is okay.
Note that it would also be useful to e.g. generate rules for monit to
monitor services at the same time. Or configuration for other service
monitors.
Monitoring services for their availability isn't much different from
checking if they are up, and a good init system should know which
services are up/available.
In fact, some services might depend on a different service to be
available, not just 'started'.
This is just another case that current sysvinit style can't handle too well.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\