Tested Dependency Based Boot

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Dec 4 22:54:39 UTC 2008

[Joshua N Pritikin]
> I tried this with intrepid and it failed with:
>
> info: Checking if it is safe to convert to dependency based boot.
> error: Problems running insserv:
>   insserv: There is a loop between service mountall and checkfs
>   insserv:  loop involving service checkfs at depth 8
>   insserv:  loop involving service cryptdisks at depth 7
>   insserv: There is a loop between service mountall and checkfs
>   insserv:  loop involving service mountall-bootclean at depth 2
>   insserv:  loop involving service mountall at depth 1
>   insserv:  loop involving service hwclock at depth 14
> info: Please check out this manually.

I guess some scripts have incorrect dependency information.  If you
want to debug, the /usr/share/insserv/check-initd-order script can
generate a dotty formatted graph of the dependencies.  It can be used
to visually check out dependency loop.

The packages involved in the above mentioned init.d scripts are
initscripts, cryptdisk and util-linux, I believe.  Are the Ubuntu
packages up-to-date?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen