Proposed release goal for Squeeze: Switch to dependency based boot sequencing

Fielder George Dowding fgdowding at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:36:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

snip

> Dependency based boot sequencing can be enabled in Lenny today by
> running this command as root:

I have a plain Debian installation, lenny,  on this box setup as if I
were in Germany complete with a German keyboard. I prepared this box
some years ago to study the German language. I have not changed back
to English, so it has been fun observing the change in help and error
messages from a little German to mostly German.

I used synaptic to install insserv. I then logged in as root in an
xterm and ran the dpkg-reconfigure insserv command. The initial dialog
is in German which took me sometime to understand using the excellent
German-English dictionary at dict.tu-chemnitz.de. I selected Ja and
here is the output:

seth:/home/fgd# dpkg-reconfigure insserv
info: Checking if it is safe to convert to dependency based boot.
info: Backing up existing boot scripts in
/var/lib/insserv/bootscripts-20090411T1448.tar.gz
info: Reordering boot system, log to /var/lib/insserv/run-20090411T1448.log
info: Recording new boot sequence in
/var/lib/insserv/bootscripts-20090411T1448-after.list
info: Use '/usr/sbin/update-bootsystem-insserv restore' to restore the
old boot sequence.
Füge »diversion of /usr/sbin/update-rc.d to
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d.distrib by insserv« hinzu
success: Boot system successfully converted.

There is some more translation work to do I see.

snip

> Ordering the boot sequence based on complete dependency information
> get rid of a few problems with incorrect ordering, make it easier to
> handle changes in dependencies for init.d scripts, make it possible to
> detect dependency loops and finally make it possible to execute the
> boot scripts concurrently for faster boot.  The main advantage is that
> it allow us to get a correct boot sequence, and to verify that it stay
> correct. :)

Yes, this strikes me as a very good move.

> If you want to discuss this release goal, please join us on
> #pkg-sysvinit on irc.debian.org and the
> mailing list.
>
> Happy hacking,
> --