Proposed release goal for Squeeze: Switch to dependency based boot sequencing

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Apr 12 07:14:01 UTC 2009

[Fielder George Dowding]
> I have a plain Debian installation, lenny,  on this box setup as if I
> were in Germany complete with a German keyboard. I prepared this box
> some years ago to study the German language. I have not changed back
> to English, so it has been fun observing the change in help and error
> messages from a little German to mostly German.

Very good to hear about your successful insserv test report. :)

> There is some more translation work to do I see.

Heh, right.  I suspect it is better to just remove these messages.
There are most useful during testing.  In production, I suspect they
should be removed.

> Yes, this strikes me as a very good move.

At the moment 1.46% of the population got the insserv package
installed according to popcon.debian.org, and I suspect that somewhere
between 0.38%(vote) and 1.21%(old) has enabled it.  I suspect the best
way to get dependency based boot sequencing enabled by default is that
a lot of users is using it and can report that it work properly. :)
Because of this, your report is a step in the right direction.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Linux counter user #14