Hurd go out of its way to break the insserv build...

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Jul 2 08:34:11 UTC 2009

I just discovered this on the hurd build of insserv:

  insserv.o: In function `scriptname':
  /build/buildd/insserv-1.12.0/insserv.c:1416: warning: warning: readlinkat is not implemented and will always fail
  insserv.o: In function `openrcdir':
  /build/buildd/insserv-1.12.0/insserv.c:1094: warning: warning: posix_fadvise64 is not implemented and will always fail

The insserv source check for the presence of both readlinkat and
posix_fadvise64, and only enable their use if the symbols are present.
Apparently the Hurd developers found it useful to provide broken
implementations instead of just skipping the symbols completely.  A
decision I find amazingly stupid myself.

The complete log is available from
<URL:http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=insserv#fail-insserv-hurd-i386>.

The missing hurd build will be a problem if we start pulling insserv
into the default installation, for example by depending on it from
sysv-rc.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen