Please check out ondemand script from ubuntu

Mattia Dongili malattia at linux.it
Sat Jul 4 01:31:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 04:43:16PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Hi.  Please check the ondemand script in
> <URL:http://patches.ubuntu.com/s/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.86.ds1-61ubuntu13.patch>.
> In debian, that work is done by the cpufrequtils package you
> maintainer, and I suspect it stay that way in Debian.  I believe
> ubuntu did it this way to avoid having to pull in the cpufrequtils
> package in every installation, but am not sure.

I have no idea why they did it either...
Well, what is loading the processor specific and governor modules in
Ubuntu? In Debian this is done by cpufrequtils' init scripts.

And then there is this which is odd:

+    background)
+	sleep 60 # probably enough time for desktop login
[...]

that leads you to this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/341573

I don't know.
Honestly I can't see what's wrong with pulling 2 little tiny
packages (cpufrequtils + lib) for processor/governor and policy
initialization, they also give you easy commands to check what's going
on from the command line.

Thinking of it, I suspect creating the ondemand init script was more for
that super-duper-fast boot there has been a big fuss about some time
ago. So they got rid of everything that was not essential and
implemented things in a different way (even scaling down the processor
_after_ the desktop manager had logged you in). But I'm not really
sure, you should ask them rather than me. ;)

I don't think it makes any sense to implement anything like that in
Debian.

cheers
--
mattia