New upstream sysvinit tarball version 2.87dsf created

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Jul 14 10:01:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 21:22 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Thank you for the interesting feedback.  But some of your comments
> make me suspect you misunderstand what actually happened here when I
> made the new sysvinit release.
>
> All of the patches now included in the new sysvinit tarball have been
> included in Debian, SuSe and Fedora for several years already.  So,
> nothing really new here, just a new upstream release to provide an
> updated synchronization point between the distributions.

Ah, I see!  I thought you'd merged a whole bunch of SuSE and Fedora
patches recently that changed some behaviours.

I roughly based Upstart's sysv tools off a 2007 version of sysvinit, so
there may be a few differences:

> Yes.  This patch has been in Debian since 2006, fixing #58119.
>
> >>   * Fix utmp/wtmp updating on 64-bit platforms.  Patch by Bill
> >>     Nottingham and Fedora.
> >>
> > What was this patch?
>
> Included in Debian since version 2.86.ds1-40.  See the SVN repository
> for the details.

Looks like I found and fixed this one independently:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~scott/upstart/trunk/revision/268

> >>   * Allow 'telinit u' in runlevels 0 and 6.  Patch from Thomas Hood.
> >>
> > What runlevels are "telinit u" normally allowed in in sysvinit?
>
> It used to only allow runlevels S12345.  Fixed in debian in version
> 2.86.ds1-9 in 2006, fixing #345719.

I think I just allow it at any point; that being said, it does nothing
right now ;-)

> > I noticed a strange case with killall, it seems to cause the Upstart
> > rc.conf job to get SIGSTOP/SIGCONT repeatedly?
>
> killall5 signals all processes with SIGSTOP before deciding what to
> kill, to avoid new processes popping up while killall5 is running.

Interesting ... Upstart will send SIGCONT to any supervised process that
raises SIGSTOP, so this is likely working against you here.

I'm not entirely sure why I send SIGCONT tbh.

> >>   * Change reboot/halt to work properly when used as a login shell.
> >>     Patch by Dale R. Worley and Fedora.
> >>
> > What was this patch?
>
> See SVN.  Trusted Fedora to know what they were doing, and applied the
> patch without testing how things behave.

I should probably apply this same patch to initctl, reboot, etc.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com