Some bootchart measurements from todays Squeeze

Luk Claes luk at debian.org
Wed Jul 22 13:44:28 UTC 2009

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I just did a few benchmarks using Squeeze, and wanted to share the
> numbers with you.  I first installed squeeze using an lenny debian
> installation over PXE, next ran tasksel to install the KDE desktop and
> the laptop task and finally installed bootchart to start on the
> benchmark tests.  The measurement is from the kernel starts until the
> bootchart script in rc2.d/ is executed.  Because of bug #491391, the
> measurements with insserv are a bit skewed.  The benchmark was done on
> a Dell Latitude D505.

Did we already report a bug to get the better bootchart into Debian, I
don't seem to find it?

The readahead in Debian seems to be quite old, Raphael Geissert tried
the one from RedHat which seems to be better, maybe we should consider
having readahead upgraded or use the improved sreadahead that could work
beside sdd?

What will we do about the large initrds (because of the difference
between 'most' and 'dep') and about the large duplication of things run
in initrd as well as afterwards?

Cheers

Luk