Some bootchart measurements from todays Squeeze

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Wed Jul 22 15:05:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 15:44 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I just did a few benchmarks using Squeeze, and wanted to share the
> > numbers with you.  I first installed squeeze using an lenny debian
> > installation over PXE, next ran tasksel to install the KDE desktop and
> > the laptop task and finally installed bootchart to start on the
> > benchmark tests.  The measurement is from the kernel starts until the
> > bootchart script in rc2.d/ is executed.  Because of bug #491391, the
> > measurements with insserv are a bit skewed.  The benchmark was done on
> > a Dell Latitude D505.
>
> Did we already report a bug to get the better bootchart into Debian, I
> don't seem to find it?
>
> The readahead in Debian seems to be quite old, Raphael Geissert tried
> the one from RedHat which seems to be better, maybe we should consider
> having readahead upgraded or use the improved sreadahead that could work
> beside sdd?

The "improved" sreadahead is available from my branch:

  https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~scott/sreadahead/fixes

Until syscall tracepoints finally get merged into the upstream kernel,
it needs a small kernel patch:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-karmic.git;a=commit;h=35845062945c1af07b5492b0ba2a6b31b9d6a8b1

I've been working on an HDD mode for it, which I'm going to push today.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com