The future of the boot system in Debian

Nico Schottelius nico-cinit at schottelius.org
Mon Sep 7 08:27:11 UTC 2009

Petter Reinholdtsen [Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:12:14AM +0200]:
> [Nico Schottelius]
> > Now I'm very much interested in your opinions.
>
> Did you ever read
> <URL:http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30730/38/debconf2-initscripts-bkg.pdf>,
> and check out the list of alternative boot systems?  I fail to see
> what differences cinit from other existing boot systems.

I read about runit, minit, *bsdinit, need and others a long time ago
and that was one of the reasons why I started to code on cinit.

> One feature that was important to me when deciding how to solve the
> boot sequence issue was to be compatible with the Linux Software Base,
> and use the dependency format specified there.  I do not believe it is
> a good idea to come up with a different format when a standardized one
> exist.

I also had some time reading and rereading lsb. That created my opinion,
that LSB's effort is much more to documentate the current situation
plus some minor enhancements instead of specifying a clean way to solve
the problems. That may also be the reason why

  "so far, it looks like nobody is really paying attention
  to this part of the LSB." [from the document above]

I wrote rlmanager, a very simple init script that more or less doubled
speedup performance some years ago, by avoiding restart of the shell.

But after some time it turned out that using shell scripts simply does
not perform well. That's my personal reason to advise heavily against
this (though it's fine for me for a migration period).

Sincerly,

Nico

--
Currently moving *.schottelius.org to http://www.nico.schottelius.org/ ...

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C