Removal of Bootchart from Debian

Jörg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Sun Aug 8 12:57:32 UTC 2010

Hi Petter,

I would like to request the removal of Bootchart from Debian. The
developer Ziga Mahkovec hasn't done anything since 2007-10-07, according
to the svn log, and I think the way how Bootchart collects his data is
better done with performance counters and kernel probes. I don't like to
invest anymore work in Bootchart, because there's a better approach
wsboottap [1]. The same holds for a C implementation of Bootchart,
because it doesn't change the way how data collection is done. I think
better analysis could be done with Systemtap.

To summarize:
• upstream is dead,
• there's a better replacement
• and I'm not very enthusiastic to maintain bootchart anymore.

I really suggest to use Systemtap or directly kprobe and performance
counter to do the analysis.

BTW: The usage of the BSD process accounting interface might also be
  outdated and the taskstats (CONFIG_TASKSTATS) interface might be more
  suitable.

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/systemtap/wiki/WSBootTap

What's your opinion? Do you think it's worth to keep Bootchart alive?

Bye, Jörg.
--
Je planmäßiger ein Mensch vorgeht,
desto stärker mag ihn der Zufall treffen.