[Kernel-handbook-general] Japanese translation

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sun Sep 1 15:49:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 00:20 +0900, Yusuke YATSUO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:39:47AM +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > Thanks for working on that! I think you should join the kernel-handbook project
> > on Alioth (click on "Request to join" on the https://alioth.debian.org/projects
> > /kernel-handbook/ page), which will allow you to commit your translation to git
> > repo and integrate it into the existing Debian package.
>
> Thanks for inviting.
> I sent a request.

I've added you to the project.  Now the question is how to integrate
this translation.

There is a problem with maintaining the translation as a separate set of
SGML files, which is that it's hard to see which translations need
updating.  Have you considered using po4a for this?  Or is there some
other translation tool you're already using?

For the binary packages, I think each language version should go into a
separate package as that seems to be the usual practice.

For the web site, the Japanese version should be included but 'deep
links' into the existing English version should remain valid.  I think
each language should go into a subdirectory, with a front page listing
the available languages, and an .htaccess file redirecting the current
chapter URLs.

Ben

--
Ben Hutchings
The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere. - Anne Morrow Lindberg