[Kernel-handbook-general] Japanese translation

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Mon Sep 2 01:07:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 02:21 +0900, Yusuke YATSUO wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 04:49:57PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 00:20 +0900, Yusuke YATSUO wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Thanks for inviting.
> > > I sent a request.
> >
> > I've added you to the project.  Now the question is how to integrate
> > this translation.
>
> Thanks for adding me to the project.
>
> > There is a problem with maintaining the translation as a separate set of
> > SGML files, which is that it's hard to see which translations need
> > updating.  Have you considered using po4a for this?  Or is there some
> > other translation tool you're already using?
>
> I've been using OmegaT to translate so I can keep track the changes on
> my local environment. It works OK when I am working solo, but I think
> I should migrate to po. Integration will be esier in that way.
>
> Since I have translation memory on OmegaT, migration should be easy.
>

> > For the binary packages, I think each language version should go into a
> > separate package as that seems to be the usual practice.
>
> So, should I create package something like "debian kernel-handbook-ja"?

Yes, a separate binary package built from the same source package.

> I never maintained package so I'm not familier with packaging,
> but I'll give it a shot after migration to po4a has finished.

Adding the binary package should be quite simple.  You'll need to
describe it in debian/control and add
debian/debian-kernel-handbook-ja.docs and
debian/debian-kernel-handbook-ja.doc-base, similar to what is there
already.

> > For the web site, the Japanese version should be included but 'deep
> > links' into the existing English version should remain valid.  I think
> > each language should go into a subdirectory, with a front page listing
> > the available languages, and an .htaccess file redirecting the current
> > chapter URLs.
>
> Some DDP documents seem to be using contents negotiation.
> I am not sure which way is the best.
> Can I leave it up to you?

I think content negotiation would be best *if* each page also includes a
header to let people override it (like www.debian.org does).  Without
that, it shouldn't be enabled.

I don't think I can spare a lot of time to work on this at the moment,
so: if you or anyone else wants to spend time to implement content
negotiation with the ability to override then that would be nice, but
otherwise, please just use separate directories like I first suggested.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.