[Kernel-handbook-general] Japanese translation

Yusuke YATSUO yyatsuo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 17:21:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 04:49:57PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 00:20 +0900, Yusuke YATSUO wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 11:39:47AM +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > > Thanks for working on that! I think you should join the kernel-handbook project
> > > on Alioth (click on "Request to join" on the https://alioth.debian.org/projects
> > > /kernel-handbook/ page), which will allow you to commit your translation to git
> > > repo and integrate it into the existing Debian package.
> >
> > Thanks for inviting.
> > I sent a request.
>
> I've added you to the project.  Now the question is how to integrate
> this translation.

Thanks for adding me to the project.

> There is a problem with maintaining the translation as a separate set of
> SGML files, which is that it's hard to see which translations need
> updating.  Have you considered using po4a for this?  Or is there some
> other translation tool you're already using?

I've been using OmegaT to translate so I can keep track the changes on
my local environment. It works OK when I am working solo, but I think
I should migrate to po. Integration will be esier in that way.

Since I have translation memory on OmegaT, migration should be easy.

> For the binary packages, I think each language version should go into a
> separate package as that seems to be the usual practice.

So, should I create package something like "debian kernel-handbook-ja"?
I never maintained package so I'm not familier with packaging,
but I'll give it a shot after migration to po4a has finished.

> For the web site, the Japanese version should be included but 'deep
> links' into the existing English version should remain valid.  I think
> each language should go into a subdirectory, with a front page listing
> the available languages, and an .htaccess file redirecting the current
> chapter URLs.

Some DDP documents seem to be using contents negotiation.
I am not sure which way is the best.
Can I leave it up to you?

Thanks,
Yatsuo