[kgb-maintainers] KGB-1 is changing homes

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Mon Apr 29 14:39:18 UTC 2013

-=| Arno Töll, 29.04.2013 16:31:36 +0200 |=-
> Hi,
>
> On 29.04.2013 16:22, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > Right now, the client tries to connect to a server by its hostname. Separately
> > for each commit. This would mean that a git push could result in
> > notifications scattered across all the bots. A cosmetic inconvenience,
> > but still. (BTW this would be avoided in a future version I am working
> > on, in which a stream of commits is sent in a single request).
>
> This happens already by observing #debian-qa and other channels where
> you can see large merges. It's fairly random which bot eventually sends
> the notification from my point of view (I don't know about the
> underlying communication protocol though)

There is some provision for contacting the last successful server,
perhaps it isn't used for debian-qa. See
http://kgb.alioth.debian.org/kgb-client.conf.html#status_dir

> That said note, that DNS round robin responses are stable within the
> TTL you send along. That means, for a single transaction it's very
> likely they are all sent to the same bot and not scattered unless
> you set a very low TTL (< 10s or so).

Oh, nice. The TTL is controlled by the DSA, but I'd expect it to be
1 hour, the same interval at which the debian.net zone is updated from
LDAP. 'dig -t any debtags.debian.net' seems to confirm that.

The only problem I see is that if a server is offline, the bot has no
way (currently) to contact others if DNS gives the bad IP.

-- dam