[Letsencrypt-devel] jessie-backports branch

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at debian.org
Mon Apr 24 08:24:53 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 11:04:20PM -0400, Harlan Lieberman-Berg wrote:
> So, I royally screwed up the jessie-backports branch when I accidentally
> committed and uploaded the 0.11 stuff instead of the 0.10 branch (which I
> just uploaded now.)

WOW.

> I looked into this, and I can't really see a safe way to back out those
> branch changes except for a hard reset back into the past and a force
> push.  (Undoing the merge will cause git to ignore the changes if merged in
> at a later date, and we could end up accidentally missing code modified by
> upstream.)

There is no simple way out, yes.
The simpler would probably be to have RT approve 0.11.1-1 into testing
(you wouldn't have uploaded it to unstable during the freeze if you
didn't deem it ok for testing, right?…), then backport it, at which
point you'd have the jessie-backports branch ready.

> After the 0.10.2-1~bpo8+1 packages have been accepted out of
> jessie-backports-policy, I will force push the jessie-backports branch back
> to represent what is currently uploaded into the archives.  To help with
> security, I will GPG sign the tags of that version.  In addition, I will
> of the four repos.

1) IMHO you should be already GPG signing all the tags...
2) I severely hate rebase in public (and non-wip) branches

I would like to instead suggest a more sober revert.  git is quite good
at reverting merges, you only need to provide a proper -m option.  The
only drawback here is that another subsequent merge of the same branch
would not do anything, you'd need to revert this revert (but ISTR that
if you're going to merge the branch once it contains more commits it's
going to just work fine again.
Anyhow, my suggestion is that you try playing with `git revert`, you
should be able to get a tree to the state you'd like it to be.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :