[Libpst-devel] shared library

Joseph Nahmias joe at nahmias.net
Tue Jan 9 17:07:45 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:53:30PM +0000, Chris Halls wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 13:45, Joseph Nahmias wrote:
> > OK.  I would think that we want the lib to be unversioned to start out
> > with; the reasons for that are:
> >
> >   1) I'm not sure that the line is properly drawn between readpst and
> >   libpst, ie. i'm not comfortable with the API yet.
> >
> >   2) I'm sure we'll come across some more fields as we go that will need
> >   to be added -- changing the ABI.
>
> By unversioned, I take it you are thinking of making a static library instead
> of a shared libpst.so.N?

Actually, I was referring to -release vs. -version-info; but see below.

> I agree that your reasons above are valid reasons to consider not making a
> stable API yet. On the other hand, I wonder how quickly the API will change -
> not because it doesn't need changing, but because it needs someone with time
> to make changes. Also, having a shared library makes it harder for
> distributors if urgent updates are needed, because all the libpst users have
> to be rebuilt.

Ack on both points, especially the former ;)

[snip API changes we should make]

Maybe what we should do is go with a SONAME of 'libpst.so.0' for now,
and freeze it for now.  Then, once we're ready to start mucking around,
move to -release.  Finally, when we're comfortable go back to
-version-info.

> Chris

--Joe