[Libpst-devel] shared library

Chris Halls chris.halls at credativ.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 13:24:50 CET 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 16:07, Joseph Nahmias wrote:
> Maybe what we should do is go with a SONAME of 'libpst.so.0' for now,
> and freeze it for now.

Sounds good. I read you can extend the life of a release by adding padding
members to structs and updating functions by introducing a new name instead
of changing the parameters of an existing name. [0]

> Then, once we're ready to start mucking around,
> move to -release.  Finally, when we're comfortable go back to
> -version-info.

Are -release and -version-info compatible? I read the libtool chapter about
this and it looked like these are two incompatible schemes,
with -version-info being the preferred scheme.

Chris

[0] http://plan99.net/~mike/writing-shared-libraries.html#backwards-compat