debian package

picca picca at synchrotron-soleil.Fr
Thu Sep 4 16:03:42 UTC 2008

> And everyone is free to push their branch either in gna (they have ssh
> access but no easy web interface as far as I can see) or somewhere
> else. For example http://gitorious.org

Yes or http://repo.or.cz where it is very easy to create "fork" of an
original.

> > the risk with git is to have a very complicate history if you do not
> > have someone in charge of this. and becarefull the history can be
> > modify 'a posteriory'.
>
> How is that possible ?
> Isn't the history hashed using SHA1 cryptographic algorithm. If you
> manage to change the history (for example using git rebase) it should
> also change the identifiers of the changesets.

Yes but if you publish somethings on the repository, someone clone it
and start working on it.
During the same time you do some rebase on the original repository. So
you change it history. (the DAG of the repository changed)

Then the cloning guy come and say ok pull my 'next' branch from my
repository published on repo.or.cz or whatever.
His DAG is different and because you made a rebase of the original
repository you obtain something ugly on the original repository after a
simple pull.

The important think is to not modify the DAG and prefer pushing commit
instead of rebasing in the original repository.

In your private repository you do what you want. :)

> I have no idea how debian packages works, for me it is far too
> complicated (creating a package should be something straightforward).
> But I don't see the problem of keeping the debian directory with the
> compiler. If we had no debian developer in the team it would be
> another story, but that's not the case.

This is not about having or not a DD in the team.
Debian builds its packages from the origianl tar.gz and a .diff file
with the debian directory and all modifications of the original tar.gz
made during the packaging.
if the tar.gz already contain a debian directory the diff between this
"original" debian directory and the one use for the packaging create a
very ugly patch (.diff) file.

sometimes other peoples can modifiy your debian package and you need
to reimporte it in the git repository. In fact the "debian official"
package of lisaac can evolve indepedantly of lisaac.
That is why I propose to put the debian directory in it's own branch.

See you

Frederic